What is Community Service Association (CSA)?

Mission Statement: The Community Service Association of San Diego Unified School District is a nonprofit association organized to solicit contributions from district employees for recognized charitable agencies in San Diego County which support the arts, education, health, and human services.

CSA was founded in 1956 as a result of meetings among employee organizations that felt the need for a contribution club similar to others in the city. CSA is entirely employee directed and managed by an elected, volunteer board of directors consisting of five teachers, three classified staff members and two administrators. Elections for the Board of Directors are held each year during the membership campaign drive in October/November.

Since 1956, CSA has distributed over $11 million to nonprofit charitable organizations in San Diego County. Employee donations are collected through automatic payroll deductions or one-time contributions.

What have CSA contributions typically funded?

The donations to CSA have gone to provide the following assistance to people in need located throughout the County. Examples include providing food for the needy and homebound; dental and health care for uninsured and under-insured; elder care; and youth camps and education materials for low income or sick children.

What organizations does CSA support?

CSA provides funding to nonprofit organizations that provide much needed health and social services for vulnerable populations in San Diego County. Hundreds of thousands of lives have been touched by CSA thanks to the generous donations of district employees. For the past several years, CSA has distributed over $155,000 each year to over 200 local nonprofit organizations.

Why should I give to CSA?

Organizations and programs supported by donations to CSA touch almost every employee, directly or indirectly. Employees can have a greater impact in the community with a donation to CSA because their individual donation is combined with the contributions of thousands of district employees. Giving through payroll deductions is a very convenient and easy way to make a difference in the local community while it reduces costly and time-consuming fundraising efforts for the agencies that provide community services.

How do I know my contributions make a difference?

The CSA Board of Directors carefully reviews each grant request from local nonprofit agencies to ensure the donations do the most good.

How do I join CSA?

District employees can join CSA to make a voluntary tenthly payroll deduction by either using the employee self-service option in People Soft or using the CSA website'sforms tabanddownloading the Payroll Deduction form. Return the completed form through school mail to CSA at the Eugene Brucker Education Center. In addition, employees can make a one-time contribution by submitting a check made payable to CSA. To donate to a specific nonprofit agency of your choice, employees must also complete and submit a Donation Designation Form also available on the CSA website'sforms tab. CSA will issue a check to the designated agencies when funds are distributed each school year.

What is the minimum donation to join CSA?

Employees may join CSA for as little as $1 a month. If an employee joins using the payroll deduction method and decides to designate a charity of their choice, the minimum monthly donation is $5.

Do I need to complete the Payroll Deduction form each school year?

No. Once an employee joins CSA, their monthly donation will continue until they leave the district or cancel their voluntary deduction. If an employee wishes to increase or decrease their monthly donation, they would need to complete and submit a new Payroll Deduction form to CSA or use the employee self-service option in People Soft.

Do I need to complete the Donor Specified Designation Form each school year?

Yes. A new Donation Designation Form is required each school year. Some employees give to the same nonprofit agency each year, while others may decide to change the agency they support from year to year.

Can I donate to an agency or agencies of my choice?

Yes. Employees can designate all or part of their donation to a nonprofit agency or agencies of their choice in San Diego County. A Donor Specified Designation Form must be completed for each agency and must be submitted annually. The Donor Designation Form is available on theforms tabon the CSA website.Employee-designated agencies receive 100% of the donations designated.

Are my CSA donations tax deductible?

CSA is a 501(c)(3) charitable nonprofit organization. Subject to IRS restrictions, your donation is tax-deductible. Please consult your tax advisor.

Additional questions? Please emailcsa@sandi.netor contact Barbara Asaro at 619-260-5407.

updated 10/21/2015